At Winning Smiles Orthodontics, Dr. Brown and our staff have discovered that self-esteem and great smiles go hand-in-hand. People are much more comfortable talking and communicating with others when they are self-confident about their radiant smiles. According to the National Women’s Health Resource Center, when women are asked about what they’d most like to change about themselves, one of the things that is most commonly pointed out are their smiles. Orthodontics creates a life-long foundation for straight, attractive teeth.
The American Association of Orthodontics estimates that 4.5 million Americans wear braces or other orthodontic appliances (such as Invisalign) to straighten their teeth and to get healthier smiles. However, despite the more recent popularity of orthodontic treatment, AAO statistics indicate that even still, about 75 percent of the population could benefit from wearing braces and straightening their teeth.
Indeed, the main benefit of braces is to straighten teeth and to improve the look of your smile. However, there are other benefits that make braces even more useful, including:
- People are better able to chew when they have straighter teeth;
- People have a much better and long lasting occlusion (bite) when they have straighter teeth;
- People speak better when they have straighter teeth;
- People with straighter teeth have better overall oral health. Better oral health is easier to achieve when brushing and flossing are easier;
- People are usually physically healthier when their oral health is healthy.
When people are proud of their teeth, they feel better about smiling. The result is a person with a better self-image and an improved self-esteem. There is countless research on the importance of high self-esteem with career success and more fulfilling social lives. We look forward to helping you improve your smile at Winning Smiles Orthodontics!